Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How Long Does It Take For A new Realtor to Become Productive?

When I started in Real Estate almost 30 years ago, it took me 6 months to get to my first closing. Of course, things were a little different back then. There wasn't nearly the emphasis on training there is today, and technology consisted of a calculator and carbon paper. I remember my first broker, on the day I started, giving me my training. He said, "this is your desk, that's your phone, and good luck to you.". I asked, "What do I do?", and he said. "watch what other people do, and do that.". At 19 years of age, it sounded like a plan so I did that. Fortunately, I was able to figure it out, and even though my first closing took a little while (i had my first closing 6 months to the day that I started), and my first year wasn't great, I did well every year thereafter.

Today, things can be much different. Today, we as brokers can influence the learning curve more effectively than ever before. A consistent, properly executed, well thought out learning path for your new agents, coupled with consistent accountability from them to you and you to them in the overseeing of their beginning with you, will result in a more empowered and better educated agent who should be able to do their first piece of business inside of 30-60 days.

The hardest time in an agents career is the beginning of it; they still need to live day to day, they don't have any business in the pipeline, and they aren't sure when they will get any. It takes an agent with either strong vision or blind faith in their ability to overcome all those uncertainties, armed with the knowledge that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, even if they don't exactly see it yet. This is when your agents need you the most, and when you have the greatest opportunity to build your company with knowledgable, professional, loyal and high producing agents for the future. Do it right, and you, your agents and your clients will benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment